Windsor's most famous theatre is the Theatre Royal on Thames Street which was built in 1910. This theatre, housed in an Edwardian grade II listed building, and is an intimate and characterful theatre with plenty of history seeping from its walls. The theatre regularly features many big name productions, often touring before appearing in the West End. It is also the home of the traditional pantomime each Christmas, such as Jack and the Beanstalk, Cinderella, Snow White, Sleeping Beauty - these are always a great show for the kids at Christmas. For details of the current programme, telephone the box office on 01753 853888 or see their website www.theatreroyalwindsor.co.uk
For a more alternative venue, try the Windsor Arts Centre, St Leonards Road. The Arts Centre features a range of events, including theatre, music, films, exhibitions and comedy. For information telephone 01753 859421.
Windsor Theatre Guild is a local theatre company, putting on plays at a variety of venues in Windsor and Eton during the year.
London and the West End are easily within reach for an evening's entertainment. For information about what's on, try the Official London Theatre Guide.
Other local venues include:
- South Hill Park, Bracknell - an 18th century mansion, with a large and active arts centre, including theatre, cinema, music, comedy, workshops and exhibitions, telephone 01344 484123
- The Swan, High Wycombe - theatre, ballet, opera, dance, comedy, art gallery, telephone 01494 512000
- Wokingham Theatre, Wokingham - telephone 0118 9785363
- The Hexagon, Reading - 1200-seat theatre, arts centre, pantomime, ballet, festivals, telephone 0118 9606060
- Artslink Theatre, Camberley - theatre, arts venue, cinema, conferences, telephone 01276 707600
- Kenton Theatre, Henley-on-Thames, telephone 01491 575698
- The Corn Exchange, Newbury - comedy, film, drama, music, exhibitions, childrens shows, cafe, telephone 01635 522733
Further afield is Stratford-upon-Avon, home of the Royal Shakespeare Company. The RSC also performs in the Barbican, London, and tours during the year.
If you are a Windsor business please contact us for advertising